Occlusal Splint Therapy – Austin, TX
Improving Your Quality of Life by Relieving Pain
At Eaddy Dentistry, we want our patients suffering from TMJ/TMD to receive the help they need to get back to living a normal, pain-free life. As one of the most cost-effective methods of treatment, patients suffering from severe jaw pain no longer have to live in discomfort. With the help of occlusal splints in Lakeway, our patients see a noticeable difference in how their facial muscles relax and symptoms dissipate. If you believe you have TMJ, call our office to find out how you can be treated with occlusal splint therapy
The Importance of Treating TMJ
When a patient is suffering from TMJ Disorder, it means there is something wrong with the temporomandibular joints that connect the lower jaw and the skull. Chewing and the natural opening and closing on the mouth can become difficult and even painful, resulting in severe jaw pain, persistent headaches, and increased neck pain.
If TMJ is left untreated, patients can experience dizziness, vertigo, and pressure in the areas behind the eyes. Essentially, TMJ Disorder can significantly decrease a patient’s quality of life because of the immense pain and discomfort that continually exists.
In order to eliminate the problem and give patients a chance at a normal life, more and more dentists are offering various treatment methods, including occlusal splints.
How Occlusal Splints Work
An occlusal splint is a small oral device that separates a person’s teeth. Depending on the severity of the case, they may need to wear it full time or at night while asleep. This barrier that is created makes it possible for an individual to comfortably close their mouth without excessive pressure being placed on the teeth or jaw.
Over time, the mouth will become accustomed to new patterns of opening and closing, making it possible for the muscles in the face to relax. Symptoms associated with TMJ are often eliminated, giving patients a chance at a better quality of life.
What Patients Can Expect
When receiving TMJ Therapy in Lakeway with an occlusal splint, you can expect the following:
- Depending on your individual case, it may be necessary for you to wear your device all the time, even while eating, as it prevents your teeth from coming into contact with each other.
- If you have any restorations (i.e. bridges or fillings), they may need to be adjusted over time as your new bite readjusts itself.
- Once symptoms being to disappear and you achieve bite equilibration, it may be possible to switch to wearing your splint only at night.
- You will need to clean your splint at least once a day by brushing and rinsing the inside and outside of it.
- You will need to keep your splint in a container of water while out of your mouth. This will keep it from warping.
Benefits of Occlusal Splint Therapy
- Relaxing of the facial muscles and jaw
- Adjusting a poorly aligned bite
- Protecting teeth from coming into contact with each other
- Repositioning the jaw